The Smile Out Loud Scholarship is provided for high school students who learn differently by the Smile Out Loud Foundation.
One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded in 2019 to a dyslexic student attending a Lancaster County high school or adult who graduated from high school or received a GED who has been accepted for enrollment at an institution of higher education located in Lancaster County.
The eligible student must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a U.S. citizen who is at least 18 years of age by the time the award is made.
- Must be a current high school senior, attending and an accredited high school in Lancaster County, or an adult who graduated from high school or received a GED in Lancaster County.
- Must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher on a 4-point scale.
- Must have a documented Specific Learning Disability* as defined by the Nebraska Department of Education Regulations and Standards for Special Education Programs (aka Rule 51) OR by a licensed educational psychologist or physician. A diagnosis of ADHD or ADD alone does not qualify.
- Must provide at least one letter of reference from a teacher, high school counselor or high school principal of present high school explaining why the student is a suitable applicant for the Smile Out Loud Foundation award.
- Must be accepted for enrollment at an accredited Nebraska institution of higher education located in Lancaster County. The applicant will provide Smile Out Loud progress information.
Only fully completed applications will be considered for the Smile Out Loud scholarship. The following materials must be in order. All materials for each nominee must be included in one mailing. Materials will not be returned.
Application and supportive documentation to the Smile Out Loud Foundation, Inc. are due by May 1, 2019. Applications received after May 1 will not be considered.
The following materials must be in order. All materials for each nominee must be included in one mailing. Materials will not be returned.
- A fully completed and signed application.
- A complete high school transcript. Contact the counselor of your high school to receive a copy.
- Current documentation of a Specific Learning Disability or verification of Dyslexia. This documentation may include an I.E.P. and/or a 504 plan, a letter from an educational psychologist who performed the educational testing or school counselor detailing the diagnosis. Documentation from a licensed educational psychologist or physician is acceptable. A diagnosis of ADHD/ADD alone is not considered.
- A completed recommendation from a teacher, school counselor, or principal. The form should be in a sealed school letterhead marked envelope.
- A recent photograph with the student’s name written on the back.
Mail entire application to:
Smile Out Loud Foundation, Inc.
Attention: Scholarship Selection Committee
P.O. Box 206
5100 No. 27th St. Suite A-2
Lincoln, NE 68521